1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
15 ounces (~2 cups) garbanzo beans (make your own or, if using from a jar/box/can, drain and rinse first)
½ cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
1 can (16 oz) low sodium diced tomatoes, with liquid
2 teaspoons rosemary, crumbled
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until warm. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- In a blender, puree ½ of the can of garbanzo beans with vegetable broth or water.
- Stir pureed beans, whole beans, tomatoes with juice and rosemary into the onion-garlic mixture; add a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
- Toss with one pound hot, cooked whole wheat pasta.
Makes 8, ½ cup servings of sauce.